In this incredibly inspiring interview, we dive deep into Peta’s journey as she shares her stories and tips for success in entrepreneurialism and wellness.
What inspired you to start GoodnessMe Box?
I was inspired to start GoodnessMe Box after going through my own health journey and discovering the true healing power of food. I was unwell for a number of years with a poor immune system until I was diagnosed with an auto-immune condition and informed I would need to be hospitalised once a month for the rest of my life for infusions to keep my energy levels up. I decided to try and take control and turned to wholefoods, stripping out foods made with artificial and processed ingredients from my diet. Amongst a number of other changes to my lifestyle, this made an enormous impact on my health and I have never looked back. After discovering so many incredible products on the market during this journey, I wanted others to understand how powerful food can be to help heal the body and keep us at our best, which is why I started GoodnessMe Box.
How do you nourish your body & nurture your wellbeing now, whilst running a business?
I think many can relate to the feeling of being torn in different directions looking after our families, our friends, performing at work, whilst still taking the time to nurture our wellbeing.
Prioritising one’s health and routines are the key. Eight hours sleep is a non-negotiable for me, I now set an alarm for bed-time. Exercising regularly throughout the week, I have set classes or make walking arrangements with friends so I am accountable. Taking at least one day to stop and unwind, and making the choice to only buy foods made with natural ingredients is how I nourish and nurture my body.
How did you approach the launch of the concept and your first box?
Launching the first GoodnessMe Box was a very exciting time. I set out with a strategy to flood the market in the first month. No matter where one looked the idea was to see GoodnessMe Box, as I knew we only had a short amount of time to make or break. I had a strong knowledge of the health market as I had previously worked as a publicist in the health and wellness industry. Having a targeted market was particularly important. I used my savings to launch the business and believe it was a mix of strategy and the right timing that the business took off so quickly. There is always a stroke of luck involved as one can never be 100% sure one’s plan will work!
At what point did you hire your first staff member and what was that like?
I hired my first staff member after just three weeks. Customer service was getting out of hand with so many orders coming through so I decided to hire a virtual assistant. Now I get to manage a small family and it is the best feeling watching them learn and growing together.
Now that it’s grown and you have a team of staff, do you have any crucial advisors, mentors, networks or training that help you make the right business decisions?
I have a strong group of advisors around me that I turn to for guidance. I think it is important to have advisors with expertise in a number of different areas. I have also built up a strong network of people inside and outside the industry who are at the same stage of business and are always good to turn to as well.
What does a typical day of GoodnessMe-ing look like for you?
Every day is completely different. I woke up today and had a book launch in the city, came into the office to go through emails, had a team meeting about partnerships, spoke on the phone to brands, interviewed a potential intern, sent off reports, reviewed some customer feedback followed by rushing to a Wholefood Dinner event we are hosting in Bondi Beach with Jessica Sepel for sixty people.
What are your top 5 tips for someone starting a new health & wellness business, with an online component?
- Understand your customer
- Persistence is key – you will get shut down and you need to get back up
- Have someone tech-savvy on your team or as an advisor
- Utilise the power of social media
- Know your higher purpose- it will drive you to use your business as a vehicle for change
What healthy snacks (that you’ve discovered through GoodnessMe Box) are in your bag right now?
There are so many it is hard to choose. Right now I am absolutely in love with:
- Viberi Dark Chocolate Rolled Blackcurrants
- Blue Dinosaur Sour Cherry Bars and
- Pic’s Peanut Butter slugs
- Venerdi’s new paleo crackers made from almonds, chia sees, spices and mozuku seaweed
- Fine Fettle’s new Apple & Sultana BrekFlats made from buckwheat, apple, almonds and quinoa puffs, that I actually put in a zip lock and eat like biscuits!
If you could give every Australian woman a GoodnessMe Box right now, what would be in it and why?
There are so many incredible products that we love but these come to mind:
- Pic’s Peanut Butter – It is made from 100% peanuts, a touch of salt and you have never tasted anything better. It can be used in porridge, on toast, on crackers for a 3pm snack, on a frozen banana and even in dinners like Pad Thai or satay sauce.
- Nuzest Clean Lean Protein – I find this protein super easy to digest as it is made from pea protein and is gluten free, dairy free and contains no sugar.
- BSKT Vegan Chocolate – This chocolate tastes better than the real deal and is made from just 4 ingredients including coconut sugar to add a little bit of sweetness.
- Hart and Soul all natural green curry soup kit – When there is no time to make dinner this kit is perfect. It only contains natural ingredients and no processed and artificial additives found in so many packaged soups. I often make this for my husband and add extra vegetables and chicken. It takes just 15 minutes!
- Kkao Co Cacao Tea – After dinner one normally has some sweet cravings. I find this tea really helps and with a little milk it tastes exactly like hot chocolate, without all the added sugar!
- Beyond Latter Ginger Latte Mix – This is a new product we have recently discovered and because I am a huge fan of ginger I am in love! Made with ginger, turmeric and organic coconut sugar it is the perfect afternoon delight with some warm almond milk!
- Cocolife cold-pressed coconut oil spray – I use this product morning and night whether it be to make my eggs or to do a stir fry in the evening.
- Table of Plenty Dukkah – A nutritional nut, seed and spice blend that I love to sprinkle on my salads, eggs, fish or to add flavour to my spread on toast.
On to all things health and wellbeing…
Who currently inspires your wellness journey?
I get inspiration constantly from so many different sources but I’m currently reading two amazing books, Body Wise by Dr Rachel Carlton Abrams which is all about discovering your body’s intelligence and a book called The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O’Brien that uncovers the toxicity of the American food supply tracing the relationship between Big Food and Big Money. Quite an eye opener!
Favourite way to stay fit?
Nothing beats walking. It clears my head. I am currently enjoying listening to podcasts so I am learning along the way and always come home feeling inspired!
Day on a plate?
- Wake up: Warm water and lemon and small bowl of bone broth.
- Breakfast: Porridge made with GK gluten free oats, almond milk, a little Nuzest vanilla protein and topped with Pic’s peanut butter.
- Snack: Venerdi paleo crackers with avocado.
- Lunch: Stir-fry veg, chicken, quinoa topped with some Table of Plenty dukkah.
- Snack: Walnuts mixed with Viberi Choc Blackcurrants or fresh blueberries.
- Dinner: Miso barramundi, pumpkin and sautéed kale in coconut oil.
- Dessert: Frozen banana blended with almond milk and cacao with some Kkao co tea.
Best health advice you have ever been given?
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
What’s next for you and GoodnessMe Box?
We are so excited for 2017 and have some amazing GoodnessMe Box editions lined up with some very special partners. You will have to wait and see as the fun is all in the surprise!
This month for our March edition we have teamed up with best-selling author and Nutritionist Jessica Sepel for a very special March GoodnessMe Box. All products have been hand- picked as her favourite product picks!
- Follow peta Shulman on Instagram here
- Follow GoodnessMe Box on Instagram here
- Contact GoodnessMe Box here