Self-care is something we know we need, yet it’s so easy to forget to put it into practice. When life gets busy we tend to stop looking after ourselves. We stop doing the very things that make us feel our best.
I think sometimes we have misconstrued ideas about what self-care means. We think that in order to practice self-care we need to devote hours and hours of our time. We think that just because we ‘don’t have enough time’, we don’t have time to look after ourselves.
If you can, it’s great to take 10, 20, 30 minutes each day and devote this to your self-care…
But the magic of self-care lies in the little, in-between moments.
It lies in the choices you make – whether you go out for a walk or watch another episode of The Bachelorette, whether you go to bed or continue scrolling through Instagram for another 30 minutes, whether you make sure you get enough sleep or just rely on coffee to get you through the day.
We tend to overthink how to best look after ourselves, but really, self-care can be quite simple. Self-care isn’t about adding lots of things to your life and creating a long to-do list. There are plenty of easy and practical ways you can include self-care to your every day life, and here are my favourite five:
1. Start the day without your phone in your hand. Yes, that means no emails, no Instagram and no Facebook. Whether that’s for 10 minutes, half an hour, or until you get to work.
2. Do at least one thing a day that makes you feel good. That could be exercising, a quick yoga session, or simply laying in the grass. It might even mean finding 10 minutes to read or meditate before you go to bed.
3. Regularly check in with yourself and how you feel. If you’re feeling stressed, pause and take a few, big deep breaths. If you’re happy, take a few moments and give gratitude for what you’ve got. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, put away your to-do list and take a break. Listen to how you feel and give your body and mind whatever it needs in that moment.
4. Make your beauty routine support you. Rather than slapping on your moisturiser, lovingly and softly massage it in to your legs. Diffuse essential oils or light your favourite candle while you shower. Wear that lipstick that makes you feel like a glamorous movie star.
Need to buy essential oils? The doTERRA Essential Oils hub has information on how to sign-up and order your first set of the best oils in the biz. These oils are pure, organic and sustainable, not to mention powerful. Get started here.
5. Create an evening routine that will help you unwind at the end of the day. Shut down your laptop earlier than usual. Take a bath or dim the lounge room lights. Read in bed or spend 5 minutes laying with your legs up the wall. Take some time to slow down, so that when your head hits the pillow you’re well and truly ready to fall asleep.
I really do believe that self-care at its simplest meaning, is about doing whatever it is that makes you feel good, and that doesn’t need to be complicated or take up much of your valuable time. If you choose these small moments of self-care the huge impact it will have on your life and how you feel might just surprise you.