Detoxification is a natural metabolic process right, I’m detoxifying right now, in fact, so are you. So why is it so important to do a detoxification program if our bodies are designed to be able to remove and process toxins via our digestive system, kidneys and liver?
We all vary in our level of exposure to toxins and our ability to clear those toxins, and therefore our symptomatic reactions to those toxins vary also. Let’s be honest, if there’s a time of year when we let our diets slip a little, it’s winter. We opt for warm comfort foods and snuggle sessions on the couch rather than raw veggies and sweat sessions at the gym.
Here’s 9 signs it’s time to spring clean your body:
- Lethargy or unstable energy levels
- Bloating, constipation or diarrhoea
- Muscular aches and pains
- Poor short term memory and lack of concentration
- Allergies and sensitivities
- Depression, anxiety and / or mood swings
- Skin break outs
- Hormonal imbalances and irregular periods.
And when you detox, these 4 things happen, which can help to combat the negative health issues listed above):
1. You reduce dietary toxins: This happens when you follow a ‘clean’ eating plan and avoid common toxins and allergens such as gluten, dairy, alcohol and caffeine. This is where organic juice cleanses, like Bodhi Cleanse can be most beneficial, it’s a great way to remove all dietary toxins and kick start your new healthy eating plan. If a fast isn’t your thing, book an appointment with your naturopath. We can assess your diet and show you simple food swaps and changes towards a clean diet that are easy to make and sustainable.
2. You improve your own detoxing capacity: By supporting and rejuvinating the eliminatory organs – the liver, gut and kidneys. Increasing your water and fibre intake can really help here; don’t under estimate the power of simple changes. We eliminate toxins via the skin and sweat glands too, so daily dry skin brushing and regular exercise or even a nice hot sauna can help draw toxins out. If you feel the need for a deeper detox, this may involve supplements including vitamins, minerals and herbal medicines. It’s really important to seek the support of a qualified practitioner here to ensure you are using quality supplements, that won’t interact with any medications you are taking and are most suited to your specific needs.
3. You heal to neutralise free radicals: Utilising antioxidants and protecting against potentially harmful free radicals is the aim here. A live blood screening (if you’re in Adelaide, come and see me!) can show your level of free radical exposure. Increasing anti-oxidant rich foods in the diet (aka fresh fruit and veg) and decreasing foods that produce free radicles such as sugar will make all the difference here.
4. You eliminate waste product: If you’re not clearing the waste, you’re recirculating it. You need to be moving your bowels daily, at least once. If your bowels are a little sluggish, try massaging your stomach every night before bed. To do this you will need to lay on your back and massage around your belly button in a clockwise circular motion.
So now that you know the symptoms and how detoxification can help to address these symptoms, will you be going on a detox? I’d love to hear your thoughts via the comment section below!
P.S. Do you know someone who may be experiencing these signs and might want to read this? Share this with them now. The big buttons below are here to help you spread the word and create a happier and healthier community.