Looking for the best matcha cupcake recipe? Look no further. This recipe pretty easy-to-make plus it’s gluten-free, low in sugar, dairy-free AND vegan!
This delicious recipe was shared with us by the lovely ladies (Hallie and Reya) behind the vegan, gluten-free, and mostly raw food blog, Nibs & Greens. Hallie and Reya also recently won a spot on our list of the 50 Best Instagram Accounts for Healthy Food Inspiration. Why? Because they have had us wanting to lick our phones! Anyway…
Given that matcha is jam-packed with antioxidants that are great for your health, the only right thing for you to do next would be to bake yourself a batch of these delicious matcha green tea cupcakes for dessert tonight!
Also, if you like the sound of this recipe you’ll love this Plant-Based Recipe eBook, filled with exclusive recipes from qualified health experts. Sign up here to grab your copy – it’s free and exclusive to CDK tribe members.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 cupcakes):
- 4 flax eggs – 4 Tbsp. flax meal + ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup + 2 Tbsp. cacao powder
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup all purpose baking flour
- 2 tsp. matcha powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips or nibs
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, place in fridge overnight
- 2 vanilla beans
- 3 Tbsp. coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. matcha powder
- Make sure your can of coconut milk is in the fridge overnight!
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚ and line your muffin tin with 6 cupcake liners.
- Make flax eggs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix cacao powder, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add in melted coconut oil and flax eggs and stir until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add wet mix to dry and stir well.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 6 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: Scoop the thick coconut cream into a mixing bowl, pouring out the water that has separated.
- Whip for about 1 minute.
- Add vanilla bean, sweetener of choice and matcha powder and continue whipping until smooth, fluffy, and peaks have formed.
- Place in fridge until cupcakes have cooled.
- Place a generous scoop of frosting on top of each cupcake and sprinkle with shredded coconut and/or cacao shavings.
PS: Do you know a matcha-lover who would love this recipe? Be a matcha-making (like what we did there? 😉 pal and share it with them.