Having one of those days when you have to drag yourself out of bed or reach for an extra shot of coffee just so you feel somewhat motivated? This is the ultimate mood-boosting strategy with what to eat and do, to boost your mood and elevate endorphins for an active mind and functional body.
Simply follow a day in the life of my mood boosters to start celebrating your new positive mindful living.
- Begin the day with a warm brew of ginseng herbal tea with a slice of lemon and ginger root, to boost your mood instantly. This will boost your stamina, increase blood flow and warm the soul. Tell yourself a positive affirmation, such as, ‘Today is going to be a good day. I am happy, grateful and compassionate and surrounded with wonderful people and many opportunities”.
- Take a brisk 15-minute walk in the crisp, fresh morning air to activate your senses and release a cascade of endorphins. This is a great way to boost your mood naturally.
- Enjoy a wholesome protein-rich breakfast of two eggs on a slice of wholegrain toast followed by a few dried figs. This is the perfect meal to provide the ‘amino acid’ building blocks for healthy brain function and chemical communication.
- Your morning snack attack can be fed with a vibrant banana and a 30g serve of nuts, so you receive your adequate dose of Vitamin B6 for a healthy nervous system and sustained energy for productivity.
- As lunchtime rolls around, serve yourself a salad that’s generous in dark leafy greens, lean chicken, avocado and crushed walnuts. Did you know you can boost your mood with food? These foods provide you with necessary B Vitamins, Iron, Folate and Protein to stimulate the release of hormone ‘Serotonin’ responsible for regulating. Be sure squeeze an activity into your break that you enjoy doing, e.g. read a book, grab a tea, chat to a loved one, get a manicure, have a stretch or do some meditation. It only has to be for a few minutes.
- Your afternoon delight (snack) is as simple as 3-4 pieces of quality chilli or spiced dark chocolate that contains ‘Phenylethylamine’ for those pleasure vibes and to cure those sweet cravings, to get you by until dinner. The heat from the chilli will also release an endorphin kick.
- Take an afternoon walk in the sunshine for Vitamin D. It can be brief, speedy to long and leisurely, just do it. It’s a great way to boost your mood naturally, for good mental health and strong healthy bones and the good news is you only need a few minutes of sunlight exposure to receive your daily fix.
- Dinner tonight is seafood heaven. Choose either salmon or fish partnered with your favourite rainbow side dish (think salads and veggies). The Omega-3 (DHA) in the fish improves cognitive function and behaviour as well as stabilising your mood.
- Relax into bedtime with a warm chamomile tea. You may like to light some essential oils, incense or a candle in the room before going to bed (but turn it off when you hop into bed). Reflect on your day and the things you enjoyed most and ensure you get enough uninterrupted deep sleep (sleepfoundation.org recommends 7-9hours), because tomorrow you wake with a healthy new soul, an abundance of energy and positive mindset to face the world.