This delicious meal is a great week day dinner and the leftovers make for a nutritious and healthy lunch. Preparation is effortless and the final result is beautiful, fresh subtle flavours of green dancing in your mouth.
Also, if you like the sound of this recipe you’ll love this Plant-Based Recipe eBook, filled with exclusive recipes from qualified health experts. Sign up here to grab your copy – it’s free and exclusive to CDK tribe members.
- 2 leeks, washed finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch kale or Cavolo Nero, washed trimmed and finely shredded
- 200 g baby spinach leaves
- Black pepper – a generous pinch
- 80 g quality feta cheese (see notes )
- 6 organic eggs
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch parsley. chopped
- small handful pine-nuts
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Sauté leeks in a large heavy based pot until softened.
- Add shredded kale and cook through for 5 minutes until soft and wilted.
- Add baby spinach leaves…you may need to add this in 2 lots and cook through until just wilted.
- Season with black pepper and add the zest of 1 lemon and 1 bunch freshly chopped parsley.
- Spoon the kale + spinach mixture into a 22 cm pie dish.
- Break eggs into a bowl and whisk lightly until combined.
- Pour the eggs over the greens and gently incorporate through the mix of green goodness.
- Crumble over the feta cheese and sprinkle over with a few pine-nuts.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until firm to touch and golden.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy.
- You can use ricotta in place of feta
- Serve with roughly chopped tomatoes tossed with finely diced shallots, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Serve along side lightly tossed leafy greens scented with a French style dressing or salsa verde.
What makes this Kale, Spinach and Feta Pie so nutritious?
- Health benefits of kale – kale is part of the cabbage family and this wonderful vegetable is a good source of all three antioxidants: beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. It is also rich in naturally occurring glucosinolates, which help in the fight against cancer.
- Health benefits of eggs – eggs are high in protein and contain all the essential amino acids needed for growth and repair. Including quality protein sources into your meals every day supports weight loss + healthy metabolism, maintains a healthy immune system, curbs appetite and helps to sustain lean muscle.
Got a question about how to cook this recipe? Just ask via the comments below.
PS: Know someone who loves a hearty pie (or who is a kale and spinach pie fanatic)? Share this healthier version of the traditional spinach pie with them now.