This healthy ‘Protein Cinnamon Scrolls’ recipe will not only delight your taste buds, but is a much more friendly version of the regular cinnamon scroll that’s packed with refined sugars and processed ingredients like those ones on supermarket shelves.
Also, if you like the sound of this recipe you’ll love this Plant-Based Recipe eBook, filled with exclusive recipes from qualified health experts. Sign up here to grab your copy – it’s free and exclusive to CDK tribe members.
- ½ cup vanilla or cinnamon whey
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup/rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 7 medjool dates (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes then drained)
- ½ cup organic coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- handful of your fav nuts, I have used walnuts and pecans
- Heat (fan forced) oven to 185 degrees
- Line a flat tray with non-stick baking paper
- Gently fold the pastry ingredients together until a nice dough forms
- Place dough in a cool place (ideally fridge) for 10 minutes
- For your filling, blitz all ingredients except your nuts until a deliciously smooth textured date spread forms.
- Place filling ingredients a small bowl and set aside.
- Once your pastry has cooled, using a rolling pin (or wine bottle) gently roll the mixture out until about 15cm long, and cut to size..
- Keep 2 tablespoons of the cin-a-filling mixture to the side and spread the rest evenly across the pastry.
- Sprinkle your nuts and a pinch more cinnamon. Gently roll the scrolls up and place up so the swirl is facing the top of the oven.
- Place in oven for 13 minutes
- When beautiful and golden, remove the scrolls from the oven, drizzle the remaining date sauce over and a touch more cinnamon or serve on their own! Scrumptious either way!
Did you know?
Cinnamon actually has some amazing health benefits such as:
- Help regulate blood sugar (great for diabetics)
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Immunity boosting (thanks to the anti-infectious compounds)
- Digestive support (thanks to the fibre)
- Promotes strong bones (thanks to the calcium)
What a wonder-spice, huh?! Now save this recipe to your computer or smart phone and go source these ingredients (did we mention it’s really easy to make too)!
Don’t forget to come back and let us know what you think of the recipe, and how your healthy protein cinnamon scrolls turn out, via the comment box below!
P.S. Who do you know that might enjoy this cinnamon scroll bun recipe? Share it with them now via one of the big share buttons below. They’ll thank you for it later!